Street Medicine Detroit’s mission is to ensure access to quality medical care for Detroit’s unreached and service resistant homeless population. Through direct and regular outreach, we will bridge the gaps between the homeless and medical communities by building relationships and offering companionship and respect. In doing so, we hope to also address their unique psychosocial and health care needs.
Goals and Objectives
1) Improve access to quality health care for Detroit’s homeless population through street and shelter-based care in an environment of dignity and respect.
2) Engage patients with primary and preventative care, link patients to local resources, and provide follow-up care with the ultimate goal of connecting patients to a permanent medical home.
3) Provide continuity of care for our patients, when bridging to a permanent medical home proves challenging
4) Address the unique problems of individuals experiencing homelessness through a psychosocial and interdisciplinary model of care that looks at each person holistically and focuses on the individual’s goals and needs.
5) Promote health literacy, healthy lifestyles, and community wellness.
6) Partner with community organizations to walk our patients through the rehousing process.
7) Coordinate with local health systems to provide appropriate post-discharge follow-up for individuals experiencing homelessness.
8) Break down stigmas by promoting positive dialogue between people experiencing homelessness and the medical community.
9) Advocate for inclusive system-wide policies and legislation that empower individuals experiencing homelessness
10) Promote institutional improvement through research, expose students to the practice of Street Medicine, and train future leaders of the Street Medicine Movement